Technically this is not a recipe for vegan tacos, but it is a wonderful recipe for Vegan Avocado Enchiladas With Homemade Sauce! Don’t be afraid, it is super easy and is from a cookbook I recommended; The New Enchanted Broccoli Forest by Mollie Katzen. Just give it a try and you won’t be sorry and you will see how easy it is to make your own enchiladas, sauce and all!
Vegan Avocado Enchiladas with Homemade Sauce
Red Enchilada Sauce
30 minutes to prepare & Approximately 5-6 servings (2 Enchiladas per serving)
- 5 Medium Ripe Tomatoes, include seeds and juice – diced
- 1 Large Bell Pepper – minced
- 1 tsp Salt
- 5 Large Cloves Garlic – pressed or minced
- 1/2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
Prep all ingredients, place in a medium sauce pot and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and cover, low simmer for 15 minutes. Either leave chunky or puree in a food processor or blender. For extra smooth sauce, run through a fine strainer. Done!
While the sauce is simmering you can make the avocado filling because it takes 10 minutes to make 🙂
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Lemon Juice
- 4 Ripe Medium – Sized Avocados
- 3 Cloves Garlic – minced or pressed
- 6 Scallions – finely minced, entire scallion
- 3/4 Cup Fresh Cilantro – minced
- 2 Medium Tomatoes – diced
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3/4 tsp Ground Cumin
- Place the lemon juice in a medium mixing bowl.
- Medium dice the avocados. An easy way to cut avocados- cut in half with skin on, twist top and bottom in opposite directions and pull apart. Carefully use a knife to chop lightly into the pit, then twist and remove pit with knife. Take a butter knife and slice the avocado in a checkerboard pattern. Use a spoon to scoop avocado out of skin. Use chefs knife if any more cutting is desired.
- Add avocados to lemon juice and toss lightly.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix gently.
Assembly and Baking Enchiladas
- 12 Corn Tortillas
- Toppings: Shredded Vegan Cheese, Homemade Guacamole (recipe on this site), Sour Supreme or other Sour Cream replacement, Olives, Spinach, Lettuce, Hot Sauce, Sriracha, etc
- After preparing sauce and filling, preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Pour a small amount of enchilada sauce in a shallow baking dish and spread it around to keep enchiladas from sticking.
- Moisten the tortillas by very briefly running them through the sauce, or if you prefer, running quickly through water.
- Place a few tablespoons of filling on top of a tortilla, then roll it up and place it fold side down in baking dish. Continue until you have filled all tortillas.
- Pour remaining enchilada sauce over top and cover with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 325 degrees.
If you would like to top with cheese or vegan cheese substitute, I recommend you cook for 15 minutes, remove from oven, sprinkle as much cheese as you like and return to oven for 15 more minutes. 🙂
Sign up for my newsletter for bonus recipes, cooking tips, inside info about what’s going on with the site, sales at vegan stores and more! No spam, no junk, just the good stuff! I haven’t forgotten Vegan Pizzas, you can see a list of them at my Google+ page – https://plus.google.com/+KeliTucker . Vegan Protein Powders got rated by three other people when I was going to post about it, so I held off, but have the info ready 🙂 More great things are always coming, so keep coming back to find more or what you love 🙂 Please check out Thrive Market, they have sales several times a week and the owners are awesome because they care about the Earth and other people. Check out my page about saving money on groceries to read more about Thrive Market, you will not be disappointed! Until next time –
Be Kind to One Another,
Keli – The Alabama Vegan