It’s Cinco de Mayo! What do Vegetarians Eat? What do Vegans Eat? On Cinco de Mayo? We eat Spicy Lentil Vegan Tacos, The Best Veggie Vegan Burritos, and Yummy Black Bean and “Chick’n” Vegan Enchiladas!
I gave you guys the recipe for the Spicy Lentil Tacos on Tuesday. Now I’m going to give you the recipes for the Burritos and Enchiladas!
Kickin Black Bean and “Chick’n” Enchiladas
- 1 Pack Corn tortillas or small flour
- 2 Cups Black beans canned or prepared
- 1 Bag Gardein Vegan Chicken Strips or your favorite
- 1 Pack Taco seasoning McCormick Organic or your favorite
- 1 Can Diced green chilis
- 1 Medium can Enchilada sauce- as hot as you like it
- 1 Bag Daiya Vegan Shreds or other shredded cheese
- Toppings: lettuce, tomato, onion, bell pepper, hot sauce, guacamole, olives, Tofutti Vegan Sour Supreme or regular sour cream, etc.
Preheat Oven to 375 Degrees F
- Mix chicken strips with taco seasoning pack, add water and cook as described. Additional water may be needed to maintain moisture.
- Heat black beans to warm, not boiling on the stove.
- When beans and chicken are ready, add to medium/ large mixing bowl, add chilis and mix together.
- Pour enchilada sauce into a medium bowl. Save a little enchilada sauce and pour into the bottom of a medium/large baking dish. Take each tortilla and drag through the enchilada sauce wetting both sides.
- Place in baking dish and put some of mixture inside, divide evenly among tortillas and then fold over or roll up putting open side down.
- Pour as much of the remaining enchilada sauce as you like over the top of enchiladas and top with Daiya vegan or other shredded cheese.
- Place in the oven for 15 minutes until cheese is melted and enchiladas are heated all the way through.
- Top as you like and Enjoy!
The Best Veggie Burritos by Keli
- 1 Pack Large flour tortillas
- 3 Cups Brown rice prepared
- 1 Small bag Frozen corn
- 2 Cups Diced tomatoes- fresh or canned
- 1 & 1/2 Cups Diced yellow onion
- 1 Cup Sliced cremini (baby portobellos)
- 5 Cloves Garlic pressed or minced
- 1 Cup Carrots diced
- 1 Bunch Fresh cilantro, taken apart rinsed thoroughly and chopped
- 2 Cups Black beans
- 1 & 1/2 Cups Vegetable Stock
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Yellow bell pepper (optional)
- 2 Jalapenos diced (optional)
- Toppings; Tofutti Vegan Sour Supreme, Daiya Vegan Shreds or other shredded cheese, salsa, guacamole, olives, hot sauce, lettuce
- Prepare rice and black beans and put aside.
- In a large skillet over medium to medium high heat, heat olive oil.
- When warm, add carrots, onions, garlic, bell peppers and jalapenos. Stir, being careful not to let veggies stick.
- When veggies begin to caramelize, turn a little brown, and the onions are translucent, add sliced mushrooms, tomatoes and stir.
- A minute or two later add 1/2 cup vegetable stock and corn. Stir occasionally until veggies absorb moisture but aren’t mush.
- Then in large mixing bowl add rice, black beans, saute mixture and chopped cilantro. Stir adding vegetable stock for moisture, as much as you like.
- Add to tortillas.
- Top as you wish and enjoy!
Happy Cinco de Mayo everyone! Have fun, be careful and as always, be kind to one another!
Keli – The Alabama Vegan