Everybody needs to start the day out right! Here are 15 of the best Vegan breakfast recipes for beginners. All vegans and vegetarians should have these recipes in their personal cookbooks. They range from smoothies to biscuits & gravy to muffins, and tofu scramble and are absolutely delicious whether you are vegan, vegetarian, or whatever! If you eat breakfast, you need these recipes.
#1 Keli’s Favorite Smoothie
- 1/2 to 1 Frozen Banana sliced
- 3 or 4 Frozen or Fresh Strawberries
- 1 Tbsp Nut Butter- Peanut, Almond, Cashew, etc
- 1-2 Tsp Hulled Hemp Seeds
- 1-2 Tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/4-1/2 Cup of Nut Milk- Soy, Almond, Cashew, etc
Place all items in a blender, make sure your bananas and strawberries are not too hard, pulse until consistency you desire is reached! I like mine thick but not so much that I can’t drink it, so I let my bananas and strawberries thaw a little in the blender with everything already mixed in. I like unsweetened almond milk and I get the organic bananas and sometimes berries at the store when they start to turn. But, just play with it, it tastes great! Throw in other berries, protein powders, chia seeds, whatever. This is cheap, quick and easy!
#2 Keli’s Favorite Granola and Soy Yogurt
- 1/3-1/2 Cup of your favorite brand soy yogurt
- 1/4-1/3 Cup of your favorite granola, I love Bear Naked, Fit, Triple Berry & Nature’s Path Organic, Love Crunch, Dark Chocolate & Red Berries
- 1/4 Cup or more berries of your choice
Throw it all in a bowl and yummy!!! Easy, fast, cheap!
#3 Whole Bagel with Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese, Mustard, Gardein Faux Vegan Sausage Patty add a slice of Daiya Faux Cheese on top if you like! Oh my heaven! Ok, this is not the best thing for you because it is extremely processed and you need to make sure your bagels are vegan and your sausage. But, some days it’s nice to grab one of these and oh my mouth is watering just thinking of one of these sandwiches.
#4 Vegan Drop Biscuits
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- 2 Cups Flour
- 3 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 1/3 Cup Earth Balance or other Vegan spread- softened
- 3/4 Cup Nut or Soy Milk
In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, and nutritional yeast. With a fork, blend in Earth Balance until crumbly. Add nut or soy milk. Stir until well blended. Drop biscuit sized spoonfuls of dough onto a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until golden. Top with All Fruit, more Earth Balance, fresh fruit. Enjoy with fresh fruit.
#5 Tofu Scramble (OH YES!)
- 14 oz Extra Firm Tofu Drained- How to drain tofu- drain liquid out of container and let tofu drip, don’t squeeze, place tofu on a flat surface, such as a cutting board where water spilling won’t be an issue. Place a plate or flat surface on top of the tofu and put a somewhat heavy can on top. Let it sit and expel water for 20-30 minutes.
- 1/4 Cup Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 1/4 Cup Whole wheat flour or spelt flour, whatever you like
- 2 Tbsp Bragg’s Liquid Amino’s
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
Crumble tofu in medium bowl and add nutritional yeast, flour and spices. Mix/toss with hands. Sprinkle with Bragg’s and mix again, do NOT crumble tofu until it is nothing but tiny mush. In a large skillet put enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan over medium heat, once warm, add tofu. Don’t let it stick to the pan, that’s one reason you want your oil to be warm when you add your food to a hot pan, but you don’t want to burn your oil. Scrape the bottom of the pan so it doesn’t stick. It is done when it is lightly browned, some people like it darker and crispy, you’ll have to see how you love yours! It should take about 6 minutes, maybe a tiny bit longer. Top with avocado, salsa, Daiya shreds, etc. and enjoy with hash-browns, fresh fruit, etc.
#6 Banana Strawberry Muffins
- Preheat Oven to 350 Degrees and Grease or Line Muffin Tin
- 3/4 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- Ener-G Egg Replacer Equivalent to 2 Eggs
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 Ripe Bananas Smashed
- 1/2 Cup Earth Balance or Other Vegan Spread
- 2 & 1/4 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 & 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Cup Chopped Strawberries, Fresh or Frozen
Mix brown sugar, egg replacer mix, vanilla, banana and margarine in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Fold in strawberries and coat well. Add banana mix, stir until combined, do not over mix. Fill muffin cups to 2/3 and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Now you have muffins for several days or freeze for even longer storage. Eat with fruit.
#7 Easy Peanut Butter Breakfast Wrap To Go
- 6-8 Tbsp Crunchy Peanut or Other Nut Butter
- 4 Whole Grain Tortillas
- 2 Bananas, Sliced
- 1 Apple, thinly sliced
- 1/4 Cup Raisins
Spread 1/4 of nut butter on 1 tortilla, layer 1/4 of remaining ingredients on top. Roll tightly. Slice in half diagonally. Repeat until ingredients are gone. Serves 4.
#8 White Gravy
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Yellow Onion
- 1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 4 Tsp Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 4 Tbsp Tamari
- 2 Cups Water
- 1/2 Tsp Sage
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
Put vegetable oil in a small sauce pan over medium heat, when oil is warm, add garlic and onion, cook approximately 2 minutes- until onion is translucent. Add flour, Nutritional Yeast, tamari, and make a paste. Add water slowly, stirring constantly. Bring gravy to a boil over medium to medium-high heat. Continue to stir. Add sage, salt, and pepper. If gravy is too thick add 1-2 Tbsp water, too thin, add 1-2 Tbsp flour. Eat this gravy with sausage, on toast or with drop biscuits and sausage and fruit.
#9 Breakfast Burritos
- Tofu Scramble
- 4 Tortilla Wraps
- 1 Can Black Beans
- 4 Pieces Gardein Vegan Sausage
- Enough of whatever type of oil you cook with
- Small handful of each of the veggies you would like
- I suggest: Mushrooms, Onions, Bell Peppers, & Garlic to start.
Make your Tofu Scramble, Heat oil in pan and add veggies until tender, heat beans in a small saucepan on the stove, warm sausages and tortillas. Put it all together! Top with salsa, avocado, Daiya shreds, Tofutti Better than Sour Cream, Fresh Cilantro, etc.
#10 Vegan French Toast
- 3/4″ Sliced Day Old Loaf Bread, Must be thick, not like sliced bread
- 1 Cup Nut or Soy Milk
- 1 & 1/2 Tbsp Whole Wheat or other flour (spelt, etc.)
- 1 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 1 tsp cinnamon
You should be able to get about 6 pieces of bread out of a loaf. Mix all ingredients together and place bread in one side down and then the other until wet with mix, but not too soggy. Use whatever type of oil you cook with and heat in a skillet, place toast in on one side for approximately 3 minutes on each side or until brown. Top with fruit, syrup, etc and enjoy!
#11 Extra Fluffy Vegan Pancakes
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/8 Tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Nut or Soy Milk
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1/8 Tsp Cinnamon
Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl. Add milk and oil. Cook on heated greased skillet about 2 minutes on each side. Top with fruit, syrup, peanut butter, carob chips or whatever you like.
#12 Blue Apple-Nut Oatmeal
- 1 & 1/2 Cups Water
- 1/4 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 Cup Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 2 Tbsp Dried Cranberries
- 1 Cup Fresh Blueberries
- 1 Banana Sliced
- 1 Apple- peeled, cored and small diced Type is up to you for flavor
- 2 Tbsp chopped walnuts or pecans
Combine water, cinnamon, oats and cranberries in a small saucepan. Simmer until oatmeal is creamy. Add the blueberries and banana and cook for 5 minutes, or until hot, stirring constantly. Mix in the apples and nuts. Thank you to Joel Fuhrman, M.D. for this recipe, it along with many others and some wonderful information are in his book “Eat to Live”.
#13 Banana Nut Donut Holes
- 1 Cup Raw Almonds
- 1 Cups Raw Pecans
- 5 Dehydrated Bananas- chopped
- 2 Cups Medjool Dates- pitted
- Seeds from 1 Vanilla Bean
- 1/4 Cup Coconut
In a food processor chop almonds and pecans into small bits. Slowly add bananas, dates and vanilla bean and process until dough is well mixed. Using an ice cream scoop, form donut hole sized rounds. Roll in shredded coconut. Serves 6 Refrigerate and eat whenever. Breakfast!
#14 Vanilla Breakfast Protein Bars
- 1 Cup Vanilla Protein Powder- Vegan
- 1/2 Cup Whole Wheat or your choice Flour
- 2Cups Rolled Oats
- 1/2 Cup Oat or Wheat Bran
- 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
- 3/4 Tsp Salt
- 2/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup Mix Ins (Carob Chips, Dried Fruit, Nuts, Etc.)
- 1 & 1/2 C Vanilla Soy Yogurt
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 Tsp Vanilla
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9X13 baking dish as well as a cookie sheet with non stick spray. Mix together- Protein powder, flour, oats, bran, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Add in brown sugar and mix ins. Combine yogurt, oil and vanilla in a separate bowl. Add wet mix to dry and mix until thoroughly blended, it takes a while. Transfer to 9X13 baking dish and pat out evenly. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cut into 12-16 equal sized bars. Place bars on cookie sheet and bake 15 more minutes. Let cool and you’ve got great protein bars for breakfast.
#15 Not Really a Recipe
It was harder than I thought to come up with 15 easy breakfast recipes. I’m still kicking a couple around in my head. But for now, #15 is a bowl of cereal and milk alternative and fruit.
In these recipes if you are vegetarian, you can use butter, eggs, milk, cheese, etc where you see fit. I just didn’t see the point in writing that on every recipe. You may also use NON-GMO, and Organic everything. I certainly try, but again, I didn’t feel the need to go into that, as well as sweetener substitutes such as agave or honey. I don’t use honey, some vegans do, it’s a preference thing.